Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Roman cavalry wear face-masks in battle?
I think that the "field of vision thing" ^^ needs to be investigated way further and in much more detail before normative assumptions are drawn from it. I think that without sound data in regard of the points below, no normative conclusions should be drawn at all.

1. Were the masks made individually for each wearer? If so, how close would they fit? Can Jurjen´s mask, which was made after an original and not specifically made to fit his individual face result in an individual experience that is different from the original situation?

2. Are there different types of masks that were used in different situations? e.g. Kops Plateau masks or Kalkriese mask vs 3rd century masks from the Raetian limes?

3. How exactly were the masks worn? Directly on the face? With a felt or leather liner? The further the mask is away from the face the smaller the field of vision is. The closer they are, the bigger it is.I will write on Arrian

4. Should the field of vision not be measured by an optician or Eye doctor, before conclusions are drawn? Junkelmann has come to quite different results, but these also are not actually backed up by scientific data => He says that the view is way better than in most medieval cavalry helmets that cover the eye region. He used a mask that was made to fit his face quite exactly.

5. Why do we find face masks in context of fighting situations? e.g. Kalkriese

I will write on Arrian later, when I find more time.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.

Messages In This Thread
Did Roman cavalry wear face-masks in battle? - by caiusbeerquitius - 05-15-2014, 07:56 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did roman legions ever wear breeches? Leoshenlong 1 250 09-03-2022, 08:42 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Any battle where Roman & Sparta face enemy SAJID 7 3,717 10-22-2015, 01:35 PM
Last Post: Dan D'Silva
  Roman \'wear and tear\' on the battle line? Tempestvvv 24 12,491 09-02-2015, 04:57 AM
Last Post: Tempestvvv