Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Representations of barbarians form 5th century
I wont go too much into the detail of the pen & ink drawings because there is a very large thread about this already. What I will say is that I have closely examined the sketches from a number of sources. Its reasonably clear that the muscle cuirasses shown are Clibanarii/Catafractarii equipment as they are also in association with the tubular arm/leg armour and the helmets with attached face guards. Mail hauberks are shown quite differently, look at the Goths to the right in the centre section of the panel, they are wearing knee and elbow length mail hauberks.
The bottom panel, showing the Goth's piling up their arms and armour after their defeat has a mixture of both Roman and Gothic equipment. This would be correct as the column was erected to celebrate the Roman victory over Gainas who was a Gothic chieftain who also became a high ranking Roman officer and who led both 'Roman' and Gothic troops first on behalf of the Eastern empire and then against it.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar

Messages In This Thread
Representations of barbarians form 5th century - by ValentinianVictrix - 06-12-2014, 08:19 AM