Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legionary Officers and NCOs - Late Roman Army (284 - 565 AD)
Quote:after 325 AD, an ordinarius is not a centurion. Previous to this there was a centurion ordinarius.

Aha, I see. I can't suggest much in that case - while there are insciptions mentioning the centurio ordinarius, they're impossile to date accurately. One (AE 1990, 866) is certainly post-Diocletian, and the rest are probably around the same period.

Problem is, it's quite possible that 'ordinarius' just became a synonym for centurion in the frontier units after the opening decades of the fourth century, just as 'centenarius' and 'ducenarius' seem to have done in the auxilia and scholae.

However, I don't see any suggestion that the ordinarius ranked below a centurion after that date. In the Egyptian papyri we have ordinarii acting just as centurions formerly acted; in the rank listings given by John Lydus and the Perge fragments, ordinarius appears near the top of the list, just where we would expect centurion to have appeared in a list of principiate ranks. To turn him into a decanus would involve drastically scaling down the unit structure to allow a commander of ten men far greater importance, or suggesting that somebody else (primicerius? campidoctor?) occupied the centurion's role.
Nathan Ross

Messages In This Thread
Legionary Officers and NCOs - Late Roman Army (284 - 565 AD) - by Nathan Ross - 08-08-2014, 12:34 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Army during the 5th century Robert Vermaat 89 17,870 01-11-2024, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Magister_Officiorum13241
  Late Roman Army Ranks - Numeri/Limitanei jmsilvacross 14 1,976 11-17-2021, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Steven James
  Late Roman Army - seniores and iuniores Robert Vermaat 46 21,175 10-15-2020, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Steven James