Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legionary Officers and NCOs - Late Roman Army (284 - 565 AD)
Nathan wrote:
Vegetius was trying to describe the legion of a previous era, but he might have been deceived by these apparently decimal command titles into thinking that the basic unit numbered 100 men.

And here lies the problem. In regard to the organisation of the Late Roman legion I have not been able to create a centurion command structure. However, it lends itself well to an ordinarius and an optio. Vegetius reference to every ten men being commanded by a decani I have found to be correct for the Late Roman legion and it seems to be what has replaced the centurion system. If one was a centurion living at the time of the legion being made smaller, there would have been concerns among the centurions about how their seniority would be affected. As there doesn’t seem to be a mutiny among the centurions during Diocletian’s reign, the situation must have been handled to the liking of the centurions. The transfer would suggest all centurion ordinarius became an ordinarii (Latin singular pural is at best a tragedy so forgive me), and all junior centurions in the legion become an optio.

One possible method of doing this is after the legion is made smaller, it is still organised into sixty centuries.

Messages In This Thread
Legionary Officers and NCOs - Late Roman Army (284 - 565 AD) - by antiochus - 08-12-2014, 07:18 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Army during the 5th century Robert Vermaat 89 17,870 01-11-2024, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Magister_Officiorum13241
  Late Roman Army Ranks - Numeri/Limitanei jmsilvacross 14 1,975 11-17-2021, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Steven James
  Late Roman Army - seniores and iuniores Robert Vermaat 46 21,175 10-15-2020, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Steven James