Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recreating the Herculaneum man with sword
Quote:Doing briljant work there, Robert, on the scabbard and all. Indeed there is no strict devision, do not forget we have only a couple of scabbards preserved of the thousands apon thousands made. Who is to say what may have been fashionable.

Have you decided on what to do with those tools yet or are you just doing the weapons?

Many thanks for this. The problem is trying to recreate something specific which isn't perfectly preserved.

I am working on the sword first as I will want it for my university course on materials in January when we cover metallurgy as I give them a lecture on the history of the sword, and also teach them a few moves! The tools I will want when we have the Pompeii exhibition in the Summer of next year. I was hoping that someone who had seen the tools could give me more information. I would assume the hammer is actually an adze of the standard form, and I would assume the three chisels include mortise and gouge chisels because that's what I would want, but I note that three chisels found together at Walbrook offer a selection of mortise chisels.

[attachment=10736]415954.jpg[/attachment]

I really should get going on this as I think I would like to have them forged. The man that makes my weapons does an excellent job of recreating what I ask him, but does not forge the blade. I find this acceptable for a blade as it is all bright and shiny anyway, but I suspect a tool would still look forged. You wouldn't happen to know anyone that has forged Roman carpenter's tools, would you?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Robert Mason D.Phil (Oxon)
World Cultures, Royal Ontario Museum, 100 Queen's Park, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 2C6, Canada.
Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations, University of Toronto, 4 Bancroft Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1C1, Canada.
E-mail: [email protected]

Messages In This Thread
Recreating the Herculaneum man with sword - by Robert Mason - 09-11-2014, 02:58 PM