Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Technical Anomalies of Trajan\'s Column
Quote:Ribbed helmets are supported by Archaeological evidence though. I believe there are one or two from Hunnic times.

Ribbed helmets? Do you mean like mine, which is a "banded helmet"? I think Richard and Urselius have the right idea: that the artist-carvers had no clue as to what a Roxolanus looked like, dressed a couple of guys in captured "costume" and winged it. Ivor has come to the same conclusion; it's an Artistic Impression. One author explaining the illustrations of the Column estimated the barbarian's sword was 70cm long, only 30 to 50cm short of the real thing. Evidently, the "fleeing" Roxolani didn't drop any swords in their cowardly retreat. OR-- and this is a possibility (albeit incredibly plausible) that the rider was an 8-foot giant. As a rule, steppe barbarians were taller than Romans (with the exception of Saul), but there IS a height limit. :dizzy:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Messages In This Thread
The Technical Anomalies of Trajan\'s Column - by Alanus - 09-22-2014, 12:22 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Roxolani Helmet from Trajan\'s Column Alanus 16 8,870 06-09-2012, 08:53 AM
Last Post: Alanus
  Germanic club warriors on Trajan\'s Column? Please help. Thiudareiks Flavius 8 4,425 07-13-2006, 09:33 AM
Last Post: Thiudareiks Flavius