Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Technical Anomalies of Trajan\'s Column
Hi Robert, I was not using the drawings as sources just comparisons and I am pretty sure that they are probably not correct. The Roxolani images on the column are just strange and I am sure you are right about the horse armour I just wonder how the horses got trousers on the column, that is all. I have quite a few artist's impressions and I know that they are just that "impressions". The artists always seem to get a lot of things wrong. Maybe the riders were wearing chaps and that artist's impression of the Scythian rider was the closest I could find to the image on the column with the scale going all the way down the legs to their boots. I think McBride may have based it on a piece of 6th Century BC Scythian scale armour from the Alexandrovka kurgan.
There is a reconstruction drawing of it in Timothy Dawson's book “Armour Never Wearies". Did Parthian cataphracts wear armour from head to foot? Because I don't think any 2nd century Sarmatian rider probably had bodysuit-like armour, although I am sure some of the wealthiest wore heavy armour similar to the suits depicted on the column unless they were meant to be chaps. :-) :-)
Sounds like you have Oltean's book but some of his other Roxolani armour depictions or impressions are nothing like those featured in the Roxolani retreat on the column. Anyway we will never know where the original artists got their ideas or orders from as the column above everything was meant to be a political statement albeit an artistic statement at that.

[attachment=10808]Roxarmou2r.jpg[/attachment]

Regards
Michael Kerr

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"

Messages In This Thread
The Technical Anomalies of Trajan\'s Column - by Michael Kerr - 09-23-2014, 09:15 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Roxolani Helmet from Trajan\'s Column Alanus 16 8,836 06-09-2012, 08:53 AM
Last Post: Alanus
  Germanic club warriors on Trajan\'s Column? Please help. Thiudareiks Flavius 8 4,369 07-13-2006, 09:33 AM
Last Post: Thiudareiks Flavius