Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Technical Anomalies of Trajan\'s Column
Hello, Pierre

I don't think anything on Trajan's Column is a surprise to many of us, and you're not offending anyone. We've been looking at it for a long time, as various parts of the Column are frequently used to illustrate historical accuracy within a reenactor's kit. My initial question on the original post was simply asking-- what was real and what was not?

You've noted, "As with all art, the work is the artist's interpretation." However, if you study Roman art on the whole, you will find it bereft of imagination. Roman art is very straight-forward and realistic... perhaps with the exception of Venus standing on a clam-shell. I have viewed original Roman art in Herculanium, Pompeii, the National Museum, and several other Italian museums. And I have not seen much beyond realism. Then-- Whammo!-- we are hit with lizard-horses on the Column.

Only recently have we seen critiques in print of the artwork on Trajan's Column, and it remains not a surprise but a series of anomalies. As such, I felt it would make an interesting topic. ;-)
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Messages In This Thread
The Technical Anomalies of Trajan\'s Column - by Alanus - 09-25-2014, 12:43 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Roxolani Helmet from Trajan\'s Column Alanus 16 8,836 06-09-2012, 08:53 AM
Last Post: Alanus
  Germanic club warriors on Trajan\'s Column? Please help. Thiudareiks Flavius 8 4,370 07-13-2006, 09:33 AM
Last Post: Thiudareiks Flavius