Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tripod device in Leo\'s Taktika
Hi all!

I'm reading Dennis' translation of Leo Wise's Taktika and at XI. 22 (p. 205) there is a tripod device.

"At the time of the Bulgarian expedition he invented another helpful device for defending the camp that should not lapse into forgetfulness. It is at once light to transport and clearly providing necessary protection. It was like this. He took two lengths of wood of equal size, about three spithamai or a little more, and joined them together to form a lambda. In like manner he then took another length of wood, of five or even six spithamai, and like a menaulon he placed it on the joint of the two-legged device and made it into a three- legged one, which got its strength from the legs being tightly bound to one another. On the tip of the menaulon-like pole he fixed a large and broad sword blade that extended out beyond the three-legged stand, as was reported, two spithamai or a little more. And so he set up those wooden caltrops when he wished and again took them down when he wished, using them for defense. At the same time, they could be used as weapons when the camp came under intense pressure from the <enemy> cavalry. As they advanced to attack the line of our forces, they would be wounded in charging against such a palisade. It could be easily taken up, transported, and set up again. When trenches could not often be gotten ready, these provided security."

Would anybody please explain me how could I imagine this device? Has anybody any drawing about it?
My questions are? How was it standing? On the lambda-shaped legs or on the three legs? I mean it is not clear, if it was lying or standing. Three-legged stand means that is was lying, which means for me: the front of the device was standing on the lambda-shaped part, and the end of the devive was standing on the menaulon.

Thanks your answer!

Messages In This Thread
tripod device in Leo\'s Taktika - by K. Balazs - 10-29-2014, 05:27 AM
tripod device in Leo\'s Taktika - by Macedon - 10-29-2014, 04:25 PM
tripod device in Leo\'s Taktika - by Urselius - 10-29-2014, 07:00 PM
tripod device in Leo\'s Taktika - by Renatus - 10-30-2014, 01:41 PM
tripod device in Leo\'s Taktika - by K. Balazs - 10-30-2014, 04:32 PM
tripod device in Leo\'s Taktika - by Crispianus - 10-31-2014, 03:49 PM
tripod device in Leo\'s Taktika - by Renatus - 10-31-2014, 06:20 PM
tripod device in Leo\'s Taktika - by Vindex - 10-31-2014, 10:03 PM
tripod device in Leo\'s Taktika - by Renatus - 11-01-2014, 12:50 PM