Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bruttian Buckler
I was digging through some old threads when I saw this:

drsrob wrote:
Festus, 238 wrote:

Parmulis pugnare milites soliti sunt. Quarum usum sustulit C. Marius, datis in vicem earum Bruttianis

"Soldiers used to fight with small bucklers. The use of which C. Marius has abolished, with Bruttians given in their place"

Festus, 26 wrote:

Bruttianae parmae dicebantur scuta quibus Bruttiani sunt usi.

"Bruttian bucklers were the shields called that the Bruttians used to use."

Apparently Marius replaced at some point in time the small bucklers by Bruttian bucklers, which were probably larger. In the 2nd century BC bucklers (parmae) were used by cavalry and velites. Most likely this text refers to the shield of the velites as that of the cavalry was originally larger (ref. Livy, quoted from Polybius)) Though not necessarily connected with the change from velites to antesignani (if there ever was such a change) it does testify to an effort to give light troops better protection.

I have to add however that I have once discussed this matter extensively with Sander van Dorst (were has he gone?) who did not quite see eye to eye with me on this. He was of the opinion that the antesignani were always a special corps, part of the front line and existing first next to the velites

Does anyone know more about this subject? What is a Bruttian parma? Any thoughts?

Messages In This Thread
Bruttian Buckler - by Bryan - 11-19-2014, 06:50 PM
Bruttian Buckler - by Gaius Varro - 11-20-2014, 03:13 PM
Bruttian Buckler - by Bryan - 11-20-2014, 03:27 PM
Bruttian Buckler - by Gaius Varro - 11-21-2014, 04:57 AM
Bruttian Buckler - by Bryan - 11-21-2014, 04:24 PM