Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
China vs Rome for control of Silk Road new movie
This film's director--Daniel Lee-- is noted for taking a historical premise and turning it into a fantasy piece. The perfect example is his Three Kingdoms, Resurrection of the Dragon, where the Good Guys wear WW1 British helmets and the Bad guys have WWII German helmets. It's all a metaphor with director Lee. If you want more accurate weapons and armor from the Three Kingdoms period, then you can watch Red Cliff.

But frankly, there's nothing wrong with Lee's work, just as there was nothing wrong with John Milius' Conan the Barbarian. It's a Classic with a capital C. My DVD copy was autographed by Ben Davidson ("Rexor) and I watch it a couple of times a year. If you require a Chinese historical movie to be accurate, then check out The Last Supper, the story of Gaozu the first emperor of the Han Dynasty.

Meanwhile, I'm not going to get all bent out of shape and make snide comments about a Chinese fantasy film. Most likely when it comes out in DVD I'll buy it. Why? Because the directing and lighting in Chinese films surpasses Hollywood. The Chinese have a better imagination; and when they do an ancient epic, they use real cavalry. True, the riders are all from the PLA, and yes, they (just like Hollywood extras) use stirrups because stirrups are safer than riding without them.

To all the detractors of a Movie Yet To Be Viewed, I hope you loosen your belt, buy some popcorn, and have a little Fun. If this film can equal Painted Skin, Resurrection (a fantasy also set in the Han Dynasty period), then it should be a hoot.
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Messages In This Thread
China vs Rome for control of Silk Road new movie - by Alanus - 01-03-2015, 11:53 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rome Sweet Rome movie D B Campbell 9 2,456 03-24-2012, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Vindex
  New Film: Rome Vs. China ... Narukami 20 7,797 07-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Magnus
  Rome vs. han china Steakslim 3 1,309 11-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Vincula