Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Research it? Copy it? Make it? Buy it?
I started Roman reenactment in the early 1990's when 'off the shelf' kit was pretty much unobtainable, so you had to learn how to make it yourself, or hope that you could find a group where other members had the skills. I still find it more comfortable to be able to say I either made items myself, or be able to point to the person who made it for me. I feel more able to discuss items if I know how I made them in great detail, and what finds they are based on, and indeed how complete those finds were, and the extent to which I have had to fill in the unknowns.
Now that it is possible to buy items off the shelf, which can range from okay to awesome museum quality - dependant on your budget - I wondered how members of this forum felt personally about the changing experience of our shared interest? Have we lost some level of connection now that it's "easier" to take up Roman reenactment? What is preferable to you? - and I mean this as your personal feelings relating to your own presentation, not your opinion of which is best for anyone else. After all, we've all come to this at different times, and with different skill sets, knowledge and abilities.

Messages In This Thread
Research it? Copy it? Make it? Buy it? - by Robin Brown - 02-14-2015, 09:11 PM