Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Button and Loop fasteners on Paenula Cloak
Brian wrote
I would also have to disagree with the idea put forward that the garment was stitched together at the top end in all cases may not be correct for what do we have on the garment of the Camomile Street soldier other than two buttons at the top then below what appear to have been maybe wooden toggles, these buttons would have remained fastened and as also the toggles then when he wanted to throw the garment back over the shoulder he would undo the toggles.

I was not suggesting that the cloak on the Camomile soldier was stitched!!

I have mentioned several times in this thread that there are other methods of closing Paenula cloaks other than what is shown on the Camomile soldier. These would appear to include, stitching the cloak closed near the top and laces. Whatever method is employed it should allow the wearer to be able to lift the sides up on to the shoulders so the side-arms can be shown off.

As usual until physical evidence surfaces, we are at the mercy of the Roman sculptors

I have to disagree that the loop is part of the fastener

As I did not create the terminology I cannot really disagree, as what you suggest does sound logical. However according to Wild it is part of the fastener.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.

Messages In This Thread
Button and Loop fasteners on Paenula Cloak - by Graham Sumner - 04-12-2015, 05:01 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cloak- Pass for Paenula? Ironhand 14 2,942 04-23-2007, 09:20 PM
Last Post: Ironhand
  deepeka gallicus g OR h/hamata button tortous 11 2,420 01-31-2007, 09:20 AM
Last Post: Peroni
  Lacing loop help! emj1s 16 3,726 09-29-2006, 09:33 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius