Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colour of a Draco
Luke wrote:

In the particular case of dracones, the way the Notitia ones are depicted argues firmly against a "creature" interpretation - every single one is shown with a cut off rectangular "body", just as you would expect for a wind-sock type standard that had to let air through it. Not a single one includes anything like legs, or even a tail.  One, the Equites Honoriani Iuniores', also has a neat rectangular portion chopped out of its "body". Exactly what this is intending to represent I am not sure (it isn't a support piece, since that would be part of the weighty head, and not the light body), but it to my mind is conclusive proof this isn't representing a "creature".

The Equites Honoriani Iuniores shield does depict a creature, the oldest style of dragon yet known. The Taifali were an Alan tribe, the second one to arrive in Roman territory. The Alans descended from the Saka, in particular the Yuezhi who originally lived in Northwestern China. Let's trace this creature symbol from the Taifali back to it's origin.

Here we have the "dragon and pearl" on the Equites Taifali Juniors shield as it is today. I'm showing it as an accurate copy of the original. (I think that's John Conyard holding the shield.)

Now we have the dragon and pearl as drawn in the Notitia Dignitatum. There are many dragon variations, and this one is an "eared dragon." The eared Chinese dragon had no legs. (The hornless dragon, found on scabbard slides, did have legs.)

The modified version of the eared dragon arrived during the Warring States Period, a time when Yuezhi warriors trained the initial cavalry of Lord Wuling in the State of Zao, c. 300 BC. About this time, the eared dragon received its pearl and found its way into the Saka (Yuezhi) Culture, in this instance as a sword pommel. But how old is this creature?

Originally, the eared dragon had no pearl ("of wisdom"). This jade version belonged to Fu Hao, the famous woman general who lived during the Shang Dynasty. She died around 1,250 BC. and her jade collection (along with over 100 weapons) was entombed with her in Anyang, China. Now we'll go back another 3,000 years.

The eared dragon is traced back to the Hongshan Culture of Northeastern China, c. 5,000 to 3,000 BC. This is the Neolithic birth of the Equites Taifali's stylistic dragon, an actual creature albeit mythical and carved in soap-stone.

I know my ancient creatures... but no, I don't have a clue about colors of dracos. Wink
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Messages In This Thread
Colour of a Draco - by Nathan Ross - 01-16-2016, 02:51 PM
RE: Colour of a Draco - by Alanus - 01-16-2016, 09:45 PM
RE: Colour of a Draco - by Flavivs Aetivs - 01-16-2016, 09:54 PM
RE: Colour of a Draco - by Longovicium - 01-17-2016, 08:28 AM