Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ben Hur
(04-14-2016, 07:51 AM)Steven James Wrote: Ivor wrote:
Err no he didn't.....

but lets move on....

As far as costume is concerned, fully apprieciate though thats its necesary to fit within the constrants of the budget... not much point in going bust before you complete the work at least...

Steven Wrote:
I actually mentioned this in my original posting and then removed it to shorten the post. This is one area I do get up in arms about and have done on many a film set. But in those days I wasn’t the ones pulling the strings. And you are correct, it does not cost money, but alas, the abuse continues.

So I guess what you mean here is TV and Film are not really concerned about such things as history per se..... as long as the majority of the public cant tell the difference that is and its all about ratings and money..... but then I think thats fairly obvious and as I said creates a self perpetuating cycle...

Despite that is the often hoodwinking claims of historical accuracy in some form or another, lets face it most movie companys are not likely to tell you "we didnt have 2nd Punic costumes so we used Imperial Roman instead" so how is the public to know?.... but more likely that this is the most historically accurate thing since sliced bread and taken at face value.

Personally I dont mind so much as long as theres a decent script and there's not to many outrageous historical FUBARs in it... 

Eg "The Eagle" first 20 minutes I thought was quite good and then they introduced "The Last of the Mohicans" and I cannot imagine that the costume suppliers just happened to have this lot handy.... that was enough and its not a movie I would care to watch again.
On the other hand compare it with "We were Soldiers once and Young"... which I consider to be pretty accurate within my limited knowledge... and both thoughtfull , tragic and entertaining...

So its not Historical accuracy or history thats pesona non grata in the movie industry generally...

Many of the people here are passionate about History and often go to some extraordinary lengths in order to achieve some small historical thing, wouldn't it be great though if the Movie industry for the most part made the same kind of effort.....

Anyway will I watch the new Ben Hur... unlikely, for me its already been made once and that was enough... would rather watch some SciFi or unrecycled Fantasy.

Gunthamund Hasding wrote:
Ivor I suppose it was pre -laced then pulled over and then tightened..

I suspected as much but I needed someone with a decent knowledge of wearing womens dresses to tell me Big Grin
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Messages In This Thread
Ben Hur - by LonginusXXI - 04-12-2016, 10:31 PM
RE: Ben Hur - by Hasdrubal - 04-13-2016, 01:59 AM
RE: Ben Hur - by LonginusXXI - 04-13-2016, 06:08 AM
RE: Ben Hur - by Gunthamund Hasding - 04-13-2016, 06:34 AM
RE: Ben Hur - by Crispianus - 04-13-2016, 02:11 PM
RE: Ben Hur - by Alanus - 04-13-2016, 08:00 PM
RE: Ben Hur - by Gunthamund Hasding - 04-14-2016, 06:03 AM
RE: Ben Hur - by Crispianus - 04-14-2016, 07:05 AM
RE: Ben Hur - by Steven James - 04-14-2016, 07:15 AM
RE: Ben Hur - by Gunthamund Hasding - 04-14-2016, 07:35 AM
RE: Ben Hur - by Steven James - 04-14-2016, 07:51 AM