Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cavalry/Psuedo Attic helm
Andy, that helmet would definitely bean attic helmet IMO, or what the statues/reliefs were attempting to portray. I thought the one you posted was of a kind that started appearing in the late 2nd & early to mid 3rd century, but the newly reconstructed Hallaton helmet changes all of that. It was dated to around the invasion of Britain in the mid 1st century AD. So combined with the "Bassus" helmet as I've been calling it, I think there were probably a wide variety of pseudo Attic types, but all of them with ear guards which I think most attic helmets used by Tribune benefactors are lacking. However, these helmets combined with finds like the plovdiv "Thracian" helmet and the Ostrov eagle helmet of phyrgian type, the autun helmet, etc. that there clearly was a wide array of decorative helmet types an officer type could have had, so it I tend to think there are so many helmets of extravagant design that were lost to history that we can never truly know the extent of individual pieces that could have been worn. Personally for my Tribune impressiohn, I'd like to have a copy of the Bassus helmet made, perhaps with a crest attached.
Dennis Flynn

Messages In This Thread
Cavalry/Psuedo Attic helm - by Celtic505 - 09-16-2016, 01:08 AM
RE: Cavalry/Psuedo Attic helm - by jho - 09-16-2016, 04:41 PM
RE: Cavalry/Psuedo Attic helm - by Celtic505 - 09-16-2016, 08:36 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cavalry Helm question Marcus Julius 5 1,616 03-07-2007, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Marcus Julius