Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indiegogo for the Roman Army and the New Testament
Hi Chris Zeichmann,

Good luck embarking on your grand project. I did not find much concerning the timeframe 63 BC – 132 AD: but maybe this is because of a difference in the area of focus ( I am searching for Roman army numbers).There are myriads of Christian texts after your terminus.

For example I recently found a reference to 500 cavalry:

HISTORY OF THE PATRIARCHS OF THE  COPTIC CHURCH OF ALEXANDRIA

http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/severu..._part2.htm

CHAPTER VIII ATHANASIUS I, THE APOSTOLIC, THE TWENTIETH PATRIARCH. A. D. 326-373.

For the prince gave to George five hundred horsemen of his army, and sent them with him, that they might make him patriarch of Alexandria.

And after seven years a man came whose name was Gregory, with whom were two thousand men who were soldiers.

A suggestion to extend the timeframe to at least Nicaea is in order, but perhaps this is not the right thing for me to say…

Here is something I discovered for your timeframe:

Eudokia of Heliopolis 1 March 107 AD
VITA ET PASSIO
Sanctæ Martyris
EVDOCIÆ SAMARITANÆ
E Græco Codice Vaticano
Interprete Petro Possino Soc. Iesu.
Eudocia Martyr, Heliopoli in Phœnicia Libani (S.)

CAPVT XI.
Sumpsit is secum milites trecentos: qui cum se in viam darent, [misso cum 300 militibus Comite:]
Vt ergo peruenit cum sua cohorte Comes ad Parthenonis Eudociæ conspectum, [Ipsa in somnis voce diuina confirmata:] contentus notasse locum quoad lux fuit, militem in manus varias distribuit per certas stationes, vnde

CAPVT XII.
Vnde in eam nouo stimulo incitatus Diogenes, quinquaginta milites expedit

You say: Finally, accessibility is a major factor in the new book, not just in terms of readability, but price as well (the cost of the Kyrychenko and Brink volumes mean that mostly research libraries will have them)…What specifically was coming to mind for you with the Syriac materials?  I admit it's not a corpus I'm very familiar with.

I guess sometimes ignorance is bliss! I have enormous difficulty trying to acquire the Gorgias Press books. (For example:  The Chronography of Bar Hebraeus and the Julian Romance, and those are not even the obscure Syriac works.)

I hope to find one day on your website a righteous essay concerning the spiritual armor of the book of Ephesians.

Oh, and if you find any information on the primi ordines, superiores ordines, inferiores ordines, and infimi ordines, that would be great.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Indiegogo for the Roman Army and the New Testament - by Julian de Vries - 09-02-2017, 07:33 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Testament Archaeology - Paul the Tent-Maker Mithras 13 5,777 11-28-2005, 08:47 PM
Last Post: Jona Lendering