Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A symbolic shape for the roman helmets?
<br>
<br>
<br>
Robert:<br>
<br>
Yes the Romans were very practical people, anyway there was a strong "magic" and "religious"component in their life and actions, whose roots we can find in the ancient indo-european traditions (you can see: G.Dumezil's "indoeuropean marriages" and "the gods of the Germans",<br>
M. Baistrocchi's "Arcana Urbis", R. Del Ponte "Gods and Myths of Italic People", I. Evola "the Tradition of Rome"). Unfortunately, this side of roman culture is often neglected.<br>
<br>
first: The Celts (and the Gauls of the "Gallic" helmets) had indo-european roots like the Romans and the Greeks. The split of their languages dates back just to 3000 b.c.<br>
They all had common cultural and religious concepts.<br>
<br>
second: as you know in the late Empire other eastern religions, not only Christianity, anyway extraneous to our ancient culture swept away (almost?) everything about the ancient spirituality. Things changed...<br>
<br>
Matt:<br>
<br>
No problems Matt Evidences are important, though the Myths of the ancient people are too! Anyway that's just a theory of mine that I'm glad to discuss.<br>
<br>
The other types of crest attachements symbolize the brahma-randhra as well, in my opinion: a real hole is not necessary.<br>
Why in your opinion the crests were not attached in the front or in the back of the helmets? The visual effect could be the same. Why the conical shape was used so later except for the eastern archers auxiliary troops?<br>
<br>
The Pantheon was designed referring to the most ancient model of temple: the "skull" temple with the "world eye" (the orifice at the top) to the polar point. According to an architectural symbolism of the dome, you can see in the 3300 b.c. temple of Ggantija at Gozo, Malta, some memory of that model of cosmic vision was also studied recently in arctic area people like Lappons, Eskimos, Samoyeds. This could be referred to the Tilak's theory ("the arctic home of the Veda") about the presence of the indo-european people settled in the arctic area before the Glaciation of 10.000 years ago.<br>
<br>
Moreover, the Pantheon was a planetarium and cosmic clock: it reproduces the heavenly vault. Its original ceiling was a representation of the sky and the sun and at 12,00 on June 21, summer solstice, the sunlight through the hole (called "oculus", the eye...) at the top of the dome creates a disk of sun light that is exactly tangent to the inner walls perimeter.<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Titus Sabatinus Aquilius<br>
<br>
"Desilite, inquit, commilitones, nisi vultis aquilam hostibus prodere" D.B.G. (4.25)<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]

Messages In This Thread
Re: A symbolic shape for the roman helmets? - by Anonymous - 09-25-2002, 10:14 AM
Helmet symbolism? - by Matthew Amt - 09-25-2002, 11:47 AM
Re: Helmet symbolism? - by TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS - 09-25-2002, 02:24 PM
suspicous - by Goffredo - 09-25-2002, 03:03 PM
Re: suspicous - by Jasper Oorthuys - 09-25-2002, 03:49 PM
Re: suspicous - by Robert Vermaat - 09-26-2002, 07:20 AM
Re: suspicous - by TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS - 09-26-2002, 08:25 AM
imperfect evidence and transparancy - by Goffredo - 09-26-2002, 08:53 AM
Re: imperfect evidence and transparancy - by Anonymous - 09-26-2002, 01:51 PM
hypotheses are great - by Goffredo - 09-27-2002, 05:22 AM
symbollic shapes - by Anonymous - 09-27-2002, 01:21 PM
The REAL Romans? - by Daniel S Peterson - 09-27-2002, 05:06 PM
Re: helmet shapes and cheek guards - by Anonymous - 09-27-2002, 09:25 PM