Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parma size
What follows is strictly my opinion, since nobody has weighed in yet.

I'd say we can trust Polybios with the measurements. First, 3 roman feet is pretty much the standard size I've seen for round shields from the Archaic aspis (and even before, the Assyrian infantry shield) to the dark-age viking round shield. Talking strictly about infantry shields.

Second, the veles would have this shield as his main protective equipment, while operating in a missile-heavy environment, often with range disadvantage - even with the amentum his range would be lower to that of slingers and archers, comparable to the one of other javelin-throwers. Giving a large-ish shield to protect the youngest/poorest warriors in order to limit their casualty rate would be logical. 

I don't think we should use the signifer parma as the standard, because unlike the Veles, the Signifer was armored. Personally, I see him equipped in the manner of a sarissa pikeman.
Peter

"And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves."

Messages In This Thread
Parma size - by Pericles of Rhodes - 03-12-2018, 06:33 PM
RE: Parma size - by torongill - 03-14-2018, 11:24 AM
RE: Parma size - by Pericles of Rhodes - 03-14-2018, 02:40 PM