Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saint Patrick & Names along the Antonine wall
(08-15-2018, 01:24 PM)Nathan Ross Wrote:
(08-15-2018, 11:45 AM)MonsGraupius Wrote: Nemthur (Not Nemthus as I wrongly wrote) which is given in the The Hymn of Fiacc, which tells us expressly that “Patrick was born at Nemthur ; '

Stranger still, it looks like the Hymn of Fiacc (or Fiech) splits the word into two parts: Genair Patraic i nem Thur.

This could mean (according to some very dusty antiquarians!) that 'Patrick was born in holy Tours' or 'Patrick was born in the holy Tower'.

However, the transcribing of this hymn appears to have been a bit shoddy over the years, so who knows what it originally said... We're probably better off with 'Bannavem Taberniae', although as nobody knows where that was either it all seems a bit academic!
The early works tell us he was born in the region of Strathclyde and they mention Dumbarton rock. Sometimes it's right to be suspicious because churchmen used to "collect" saints and ascribe them to their own area. But I've not come across anyone who suggests any of these early works were written in Strathclyde which was then a separate Kingdom. So I think Tours is a viable option.

A holy tower is not impossible - as there are early Irish and Scots church towers, but I think they are all much later than Saint Patrick and none are in the area of Strathclyde. Indeed, I don't know of any substantial church structures from this period - and even if some buildings had bell towers, it would seem highly unlikely someone would give birth in one. The only other early structures of a "tower" form in Scotland are brochs - and they are very rare in central Scotland and I don't know of any in the area of Strathclyde.

In contrast, quite a few people have suggested that "Nemeton" - was frequently used in place names and meant some form of holy place or even "Grove". Indeed Wikipedia has a whole section: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemeton.

By the way I was thinking of you this morning - in that I was thinking I ought to put a page together giving the suggestions for Boudica's last battle.
Oh the grand oh Duke Suetonius, he had a Roman legion, he galloped rushed down to (a minor settlement called) Londinium then he galloped rushed back again. Londinium Bridge is falling down, falling down ... HOLD IT ... change of plans, we're leaving the bridge for Boudica and galloping rushing north.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Saint Patrick & Names along the Antonine wall - by MonsGraupius - 08-15-2018, 01:49 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Antonine Wall Eleatic Guest 2 1,077 04-10-2020, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest
  Antonine Wall colours on sculptures Densus 1 1,020 04-21-2018, 12:37 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  Garisons of the Antonine Wall Jordanicus 1 1,251 10-28-2013, 11:03 AM
Last Post: D B Campbell