Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saint Patrick & Names along the Antonine wall
(08-19-2018, 10:18 AM)Renatus Wrote: I think you miss my point. I was simply pointing out what I thought was a typo.

Moving on, if you contend that the list of forts continues north of the Clyde estuary, do you have candidates for Litana, Cibra and Credigone?

A Week Oops! Belated thanks.

candidates for Litana, Cibra and Credigone?
In the article I suggest linguistic similarities between
  • LiTana = LinDum
  • CibRa = CoRia
  • cREdIGONE = RErIGONI>um
However, these are very poor matches and what's more the Ptolemy map is a complete mess in this area. And the result is it isn't really possible to know which "coast" any of these places are near let alone if they once may have formed a "line" on a map which may or may not be based on Ptolemy.

Strategically, given the modern ferry crossings that are found along the coast going to Dunoon, Rothsay, Arran, along the coast as far as Ayr, the Antonine defences would need to have included military sites all the way along this coast.

So, there are three possible interpretations.
1) that the line ended at Greenock and was very much a "line",
2) that it ended further south so that the "line" curved at the end.
3) that someone mistakenly copied extra entries to the list (which is a very easy thing to have happened if you've ever seen ancient texts).

The other way to look at it is, to see what Roman settlements are on the Clyde. There may be ones west of Dumbarton, but that doesn't make sense to me. And the main indication of Roman activity is on the South of the Clyde estuary. I've studied the Antonine wall in detail (and even walked the entire length). However, I haven't studied the southern side of the Clyde estuary in the same detail, mainly because the coastal strip where you might expect settlement has been massively changed by industrialisation and before (when the Clyde was not navigable by big boat up to ~Glasgow) was a hive of early activity.

So, the main Roman remains are to be found on the hills above this settlement zone such as the fortlet at https://canmore.org.uk/site/41342/lurg-moor this hints at a larger settlements somewhere else along the shore but I've no idea where or how many. But a couple of Roman coins were found near Greenock.

I would show you all the Roman material, but unfortunately, CANMORE which lists sites in Scotland doesn't have an explicit "Roman" category, so instead you get a list of Roman sites + Roman Catholic churches. But there is a list of Roman Forts (which unhelpfully doesn't show any west of Dumbarton - which wrongly suggests there is nothing Roman there):

https://canmore.org.uk/site/search/resul...1&view=map
Oh the grand oh Duke Suetonius, he had a Roman legion, he galloped rushed down to (a minor settlement called) Londinium then he galloped rushed back again. Londinium Bridge is falling down, falling down ... HOLD IT ... change of plans, we're leaving the bridge for Boudica and galloping rushing north.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Saint Patrick & Names along the Antonine wall - by MonsGraupius - 08-19-2018, 11:08 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Antonine Wall Eleatic Guest 2 1,072 04-10-2020, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest
  Antonine Wall colours on sculptures Densus 1 1,014 04-21-2018, 12:37 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  Garisons of the Antonine Wall Jordanicus 1 1,247 10-28-2013, 11:03 AM
Last Post: D B Campbell