Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saint Patrick & Names along the Antonine wall
(08-21-2018, 04:59 AM)Steven James Wrote: Amen to that. People only want what conforms to their “truth.” I’ve noticed some people on this forum make interpretations based on a collaboration of sources, yet when I have done the same thing, they claim I am wrong as the primary sources do not specifically make that claim.

Thanks.

I've noticed in other subjects that it is much easier to ask questions and point our flaws, than to say when someone is right. Because you only need need to spend a little time thinking of a question - and a single potential flaw is easy to argue, whereas saying someone is right requires a detailed look at the subject ...however despite the feeling of being attacked ... I do very much appreciate people taking the time to think about it and raise criticisms.

But the result seems to be that the argument that Old Kilpatrick was Nemeton seems sound. Would I prefer that there were fewer errors in the original texts, yes. Would I prefer something more than to rely on notes in the text, yes. But put together with the three successive good fits to Balmuildy/Medio, Nemeton/Nemthur  & Dumbarton/Subdobiadon, I think it is watertight.

But what do I do now? I was looking on the web and I keep reading nonsense - and worse contradictory nonsense - with some people saying he was certainly born in Northamptonshire, others he was certainly born in Wales, others that he certainly was born south of Hadrian's wall.

I wondered about writing a book on St.Patrick - but after getting a few books I quickly realised the type that sell are not the kind of thing I would write as I was only interested in the bare facts and that was less than a chapter. I had very little interest in the "Inspirational" rest.

I've approached a few academics, but modern day Romanist academics have no interest or knowledge of St.Patrick and most have no interest in linguistics.
Oh the grand oh Duke Suetonius, he had a Roman legion, he galloped rushed down to (a minor settlement called) Londinium then he galloped rushed back again. Londinium Bridge is falling down, falling down ... HOLD IT ... change of plans, we're leaving the bridge for Boudica and galloping rushing north.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Saint Patrick & Names along the Antonine wall - by MonsGraupius - 08-21-2018, 08:04 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Antonine Wall Eleatic Guest 2 1,088 04-10-2020, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest
  Antonine Wall colours on sculptures Densus 1 1,033 04-21-2018, 12:37 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  Garisons of the Antonine Wall Jordanicus 1 1,256 10-28-2013, 11:03 AM
Last Post: D B Campbell