Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman helmets: Imperial Gallic/Italic and Ridge - comparisons and sources
(11-06-2018, 08:51 PM)CaesarAugustus Wrote: And, just to conclude, even after Sextus Africanus, Roman army were able to defeat the Sassanians, with Gordian III that was able to take back practically all the Sassian conquests before dying.
[..]
For what concerns Rome, we know the Richborough helmet, around 280's. I am curios to know if there are others.

I don't think that the ability of the Romans to defeat the Persians was resting solely on their helmet types, but the complaint mentioned by Julius Africanus was not just about the helmet but also about the length of the spear - perhaps this is a different discussion best spoken of in another thread.

Back to topic - I didn't know the Richborough was dated that early, but I think i recall that the Augst ridge helmet was dated to c. 275.

Adding a question - I know that segmentata armour was not entirely phased out by the 4th century (some turning up in Spain), but what is the latest dated helmet of the Imperial gallic type?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Roman helmets: Imperial Gallic/Italic and Ridge - comparisons and sources - by Robert Vermaat - 11-07-2018, 08:33 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Imperial Gallic J - Robinson's mistake? Konstantin Ankilov 6 2,442 01-24-2021, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Militarus
  Imperial Gallic I Moguntiacum Marc 3 1,903 07-16-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: drsrob
  Imperial Gallic D Helm Konstantin Ankilov 8 2,843 10-18-2017, 12:24 PM
Last Post: Konstantin Ankilov