Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Composite (?) attic helmets with scales and hair locks
(07-20-2019, 05:15 AM)Feinman Wrote:  i don't think the "hair lock" detail has been sufficiently explained, and no one is sure (par for the course).  Perhaps others could offer opinions?  Also, I'm not sure if those scaled Greek helmets actually existed; that could be painted decoration or even repousse decoration being shown --most folks think that's the answer.

There are several "Corinthian" and "Apulian Corinthian" helmets with this feature in "Antike Helme" Mainz 1988, some have engraved curls and at least one with raised embossed curls, other embossing such eyebrows, animals designs on the cheeks and decorative engraving or embossing of various designs is also pretty common, so I would expect all of this decoration to be either engraved or embossed since it seems to be the normal practice.

Compared with these examples the "reconstruction" just looks wrong to me... this is always a problem when trying to replicate art alone...

Wink
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Messages In This Thread
RE: Composite (?) attic helmets with scales and hair locks - by Crispianus - 07-20-2019, 08:56 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek Helmets With Scales Iphitos 47 9,171 05-10-2014, 05:20 AM
Last Post: Feinman
  Attic Helmets in Classical-Hellenistic Greece Celtic505 2 2,069 02-21-2011, 12:22 AM
Last Post: Celtic505