Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman helmets: Imperial Gallic/Italic and Ridge - comparisons and sources
(10-06-2019, 08:15 PM)CaesarAugustus Wrote: it is not difficult to test an Imperial Italic H versus a ridge helmet.

That would involve getting a properly constructed replica of each type (costing, I would think, about €800 each) and smashing them both to pieces. I cannot see many people being very willing to do this! [Image: wink.png]

Logic would suggest that if the Roman state (far better organised than in earlier times) switched from producing single bowl gallic/italic types to composite riveted helmets, the composite ones were better (or just easier to make in large quantities). No state is deliberately going to fit out its armies with a lesser quality bit of armour. So the onus would be on anyone claiming the opposite to produce evidence in support of their suggestion, of which there is none.

I understand that the metal used in ridge helmets commonly tends to be thicker, and the composite construction probably made them stronger and more durable (impact stress absorbed by the rivets and the flexibility of the plates) and considerably easier to repair too - that the older helmets tended to have rather weak bowls is suggested by the reinforcements added in later times.
Nathan Ross

Messages In This Thread
RE: Roman helmets: Imperial Gallic/Italic and Ridge - comparisons and sources - by Nathan Ross - 10-06-2019, 09:34 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Imperial Gallic J - Robinson's mistake? Konstantin Ankilov 6 2,442 01-24-2021, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Militarus
  Imperial Gallic I Moguntiacum Marc 3 1,903 07-16-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: drsrob
  Imperial Gallic D Helm Konstantin Ankilov 8 2,845 10-18-2017, 12:24 PM
Last Post: Konstantin Ankilov