Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Left-handed legionaries
Avete!<br>
I'm not sure we can stretch a point to make these "dexiolaboi" into a special left-handed guard unit for covering the right flank on the march. If such a unit existed and had proved valuable, probably other people who wanted such protection would have used them, too, and we'd have more descriptions.<br>
<br>
Marching along a road on the right flank with your shield on the left side as usual is not a great disadvantage unless the enemy pops up less than five feet away. That ain't likely! Any farther than that, and you simply turn your body to cover yourself. Takes a split second.<br>
<br>
I remember talking about this passage with a friend of mine a few years ago, while he was in the seminary. The best we could come up with is that the Greek word may be a corruption and therefore have a totally different meaning. The Latin word is much more likely, and is used in other contexts as light infantry with throwing spears.<br>
<br>
Do we know much about whether Roman children were even allowed to grow up left-handed? Even in the US into the 20th century, it was common to teach natural left-handed kids to write and work right-handed, sometimes screwing them up for years! I don't think the Romans were as worried about the "sinister" conotations as folks in the middle ages, though. My point is, how many trained left-handed recruits would the army really get? And if they got a few months of intensive training to fight right-handed like everyone else, would they really be at any disadvantage in battle? Even in a "looser" formation, I'd be worried about any of my close comrades being left-handed in battle.<br>
<br>
As usual, we need more evidence! Valete,<br>
Matthew/Quintus<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/

Messages In This Thread
Left-handed legionaries - by Anonymous - 07-29-2002, 12:42 AM
Re: Left-handed legionaries - by Anonymous - 07-29-2002, 02:24 AM
Re: Left-handed legionaries - by Muzzaguchi - 07-29-2002, 03:33 AM
Re: Left-handed legionaries - by Anonymous - 07-29-2002, 05:33 AM
Re: Left-handed legionaries - by Gashford - 07-29-2002, 07:32 AM
Re: Left-handed legionaries - by Anonymous - 07-29-2002, 02:03 PM
Left-handers... - by Matthew Amt - 07-29-2002, 06:13 PM
Re: Left-handers... - by Thiudareiks Flavius - 07-29-2002, 07:49 PM
Re: Left-handers... - by Catiline - 07-29-2002, 10:34 PM
Re: Left-handers... - by Anonymous - 07-29-2002, 11:16 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Left Handed Soldiers JeffF 13 8,842 04-05-2011, 08:40 AM
Last Post: Eduorius
  Roman Legions or even Greek Phalanx and left handed Timotheus 16 6,380 10-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Dan Howard