Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imperial Gallic J - Robinson's mistake?
Hi all,

i'm having a replica made of the J type helmet and have some questions that maybe you can help me with it. I know it's an old topic, but actually this still is one of the best sources on this helmet (at least that is easily available) so worth keeping alive.

Particularly the last photo of the green corroded helmet which Caratacus posted draws my interest.

So i found photo's of an original helmet that Robinson categorised as type I, in the book called 'Römische Helme' by Marcus Junkelmann. What draws my attention is that there is a clear circular 'imprint' (rough area, looking like something had been attached there by soldering but broken off) both on top and on the inside of the helmet where the crest holder was supposed to be. It is clearly circular and right on top of the helmet, where the crest holder would have been. My question is whether such traces should be visible on the J type as well IF the crestholder on the J type would have been a similar round, pointy knob - as opposed to the often seen flat rectangular fitting on top of many roman (repro) helmets?

(Interesting on this type I helmet is also the clear 'feather-holders' on the side, just behind where the browguard would have ended. Were there no traces of such 'feather-holders' found on the type J?)

Thanks!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Imperial Gallic J - Robbinson's mistake? - by Posca - 12-20-2020, 09:04 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman helmets: Imperial Gallic/Italic and Ridge - comparisons and sources CaesarAugustus 92 19,179 12-16-2020, 08:39 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus
  Imperial Gallic I Moguntiacum Marc 3 1,917 07-16-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: drsrob
  Imperial Gallic D Helm Konstantin Ankilov 8 2,860 10-18-2017, 12:24 PM
Last Post: Konstantin Ankilov