Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Germanic Urbanisation & Infrastructure Post Augustus
(01-11-2021, 11:44 AM)Robert Vermaat Wrote: In my opinion is was far more due to the weakened Roman border defences because of the crisis (also accompanied by a relative paralysis of the military structure as a result of the crisis).

I think we're agreeing here, aren't we? [Image: smile.png]

(01-11-2021, 11:44 AM)Robert Vermaat Wrote: The Franks on the other hand probably saw litle to no change during the 3rd to 5th century and only began that change after Clovis' kingdom was formed?

Evidence for the pre-Merovingian Franks seems surprisingly scanty. Actually it seems very difficult to distinguish (outside Roman literary sources) any one of the western Germanic peoples from another - Saxons from Franks or Frisii, Franks from Alamanni, Alamanni from Burgundians - before about the 5th or 6th centuries. Some live in mound villages, others in hillforts, but the material culture appears (I think) much the same. This might count against the idea of enhanced social or technological development during this period, which would perhaps have led to more distinctive traces?
Nathan Ross

Messages In This Thread
RE: Germanic Urbanisation & Infrastructure Post Augustus - by Nathan Ross - 01-11-2021, 12:20 PM