Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spears from the Imperium Romanum
(01-21-2022, 07:59 PM)Sean Manning Wrote: There are many great publications of Germanic, British, and Celtic spears.  Are there any published spears from the imperium Romanum, especially the eastern half? Or from pre-imperial Italy? My copy of the report from Dura Europos is not with me.

If you want the bibliography for pre-Roman barbaricum:

Germanic: I don't know the best publications of Nydam and Hjortspring

Illerup Adal Vol 1-2 Jorgen Ilkjaer 1990, part of a large series detailing the finds from the bog by type, should still be available not expensive. Essential because it puts a lot of other finds such as Thorsberg and Nydam in context.

Der Thorsberger Moorfund Katalog, Klaus Raddatz, Offa-Bücher band 65 1987. details all the then known military equipment.

Also new series from Nydam and Thorsberg which includes the original but for some odd reason the Danish version! this also includes previously unpublished leathework, from "The Center for Baltic and Scandinavian Archaeology" Schelwig. sold I think direct from Aarhus University Press.

There are many others...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Messages In This Thread
RE: Spears from the Imperium Romanum - by Crispianus - 01-21-2022, 08:32 PM