Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spears from the Imperium Romanum
(01-23-2022, 03:41 AM)Sean Manning Wrote:
(01-22-2022, 11:33 AM)Crispianus Wrote: I wasn't really certain what you were after!
Like I said, published spears from the Imperium Roman or pre-Roman Italy!  But adding other publications of early European spears is useful too.  My ancient research focuses on the Neo-Babylonian and Achaemenid world, but others might be more interested in Atlantic and Baltic Europe. 

Edit: And spears in rich places like Achaemenid Babylonia or Late Archaic Thebes were probably at least as sophisticated as spears in places where they were still using bone points and wooden bosses!  McLean's Heuristic: if you can't find sources from the time and place you are interested, studying how other low-tech societies did it is much better than relying on your big modern educated brain.

Thanks for the fuller citation to the book on Hjortspring.  On Nydam, did you mean the books by Andreas Rau with titles like Nydam Mose 1-2: Die personengebundenen Gegenstände. Grabungen 1989-1999?  They seem to be out of stock at Aarhus University Press (link).

(01-22-2022, 11:33 AM)Crispianus Wrote: The Hoplites link times out...
The link to the Cynegeticon on Lacus Curtius works for me.  Here is a link to an overview of the poem.

Yes thats the one, Odd that their out of stock not sure how usefull these would be to you though... Illerup 1-2 is really the one to go for it is only about spears, has an extensive typology, comparative material and references really first class, it would be unlikely you would need anything else.

There is a good copy online of "Denmark in the Early Iron Age"  Conrad Engelhardt 1866, details the original finds from Thorsberg, Nydam and Vimose....

He says mostly ash for spear shafts 1inch thick, rounded butt, no butt spikes, @9ft long.

This may be of interest: "Armement et auxiliaires gaulois", Pernet 2010
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Messages In This Thread
RE: Spears from the Imperium Romanum - by Crispianus - 01-23-2022, 10:21 PM