Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Antique Blast Furnace Found in South Tyrol
I did not know this study by Hans-Peter Kuhnen!

People who experiment with simple furnaces sometimes create cast iron accidentally (just like its easier to make a lump which is part steel than a lump of nothing but nice soft malleable iron).

I believe that a number of traditional high-temperature furnaces uses hills to get access to fast-moving air above ground level without building high smoke stacks. That would be one reason to put the furnace in Säben on a north-south Alpine pass (the valley south of the Brenner Pass), but I would want to read the study by Hans-Peter Kuhnen and why he thinks the cast iron was deliberately produced. Journalists have trouble with technical and natural-scientific topics and university press-release offices sex things up.

It might be worth asking Helmut Föll about this although I think Hans-Peter Kuhnen published after Föll retired.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Late Antique Blast Furnace Found in South Tyrol - by Sean Manning - 04-21-2024, 04:41 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Visualising the Late Antique City Project John Conyard 5 1,771 07-26-2011, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Megas Aleksandros