Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Athens and Inaros\'s Rebellion
Khairete, Hoplite!

Quote:Some lines of thought:

Comparing Mummy Dockets and Their Chronological Value
Revised View: In revised view Ramses XI was Inaros of the Greek authors.
Inaros became famous because he led out in a rebellion against the Persians in ...
www.specialtyinterests.net/mummy_dockets.html

some info on the death of Charitidimos the Greek Ally Geneal
http://www.sikyon.com/Athens/ahist_eg03.html

Thanks for the links. I have found the Inaros = Ramses XI before. How accepted is, academically speaking, this revised chronology of Egypt History? Not that it's reall important, but some reason must exist for Thucidides (and other greeks?) for calling him 'Inaros' instead of "Armasis" or other possible readings of "RMS(S)" (not sure if this i sthe right semitic root that "Ramses" comes from)? I mean, arriving from "RMS(S)" to "I-na-ros" is pretty contorted (isn't it?) Linguistic reasons are sometimes weak, but it's surprising, to say the least.

Quote:Not all mercs were Athenians possibly. So other troop types except hoplites apply. Given time the egyptian armors might appear among the Greeks as it is typical for mercenaries to mix armor and styles from the dawn of time.

Well, I think greek historians would call "hoplites" any heavy infantry, independently if their equipment was like the VI Century hoplite or not. Centuries later, Hannibal Barca used libyan holpites as one of this main infantry forces against Rome, and I seem to recall reading some (translated) classical author talking about egyptian hoplites by those times, but cannot be sure right now.

Any link to contemporary egyptian military info would be welcome as well :-) )

Quote:Tough buggers managed to escape to Kyrene! (A bit Bau Zest dessert marching!)
If you want to know what soldiering in the marshes and bogs is like ask me! I was unfortunate enough to have experience!

It must have been really tough indeed... Reminds me of later Alexander returnig to Babylon from the Indos through the desert of Gedrosia, only worse (I mean, they went to Kyrene after fleeing from a lost battle, therefore no food or water or...)!!! One of the reasons I want to write this, actually... Tough Athenians, indeed!

Quote:2 months ago in the Cairo museum the guide showed me "bumerang like" thinks that the Egyptians used to hunt water birds. Interesting thought on Egzptian psiloi!!

Regards

actually very interesting! it gives me some ideas, indeed... shame greek historians preferred not to talk in depth about this episode of their History... I guess it was too painful and "unpatriotic" to mention by the time... Kind of Vietnam for USA, but who knows, probably worse in its context!

please share with us/me your experiences in the African desert, I have never been able to be in the desert (coming from fertile Gallaecia myself) and I will certainly benefit from first hand experience!

thanks a lot!
a.k.a Argyros

PS- Zeus sotir niki? Zeus leads to victory? May Zeus bing victory? Definitely I gotta finally learn greek!
Episkopos P. Lilius Frugius Simius Excalibor, :. V. S. C., Pontifex Maximus, Max Disc Eccl
David S. de Lis - my blog: <a class="postlink" href="http://praeter.blogspot.com/">http://praeter.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread
Re: Athens and Inaros\'s Rebellion - by P. Lilius Frugius Simius - 07-12-2005, 08:55 AM
Inaro\'s Rebellion - by Pacal - 07-16-2005, 10:28 PM