Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Athens and Inaros\'s Rebellion
Quote:The idea of Inaros-Ramesis might give idea for tragic drama if you do not want to go to absolute historical-accurasy! You know these heroes and their paramoures staff!

Heh... :-) ) I am researching the subject from the Egyptian-Persian side of sources (if any) and see what I get. Another member of the old GAT is going to send me his findings as well, he has done a comparative study of the primary and secondary sources related to this episode. My expectatives are high for this, considering the lack of sources!.

thanks for the links you provided me, they will prove very useful...

Quote:I mentioned soldiering in the masrhes-bogs not desserts!

Ops!

OK, I guess Memphis was that way, indeed.

I wonder how the Athenian phalanx would have progresssed in such a battle. There must have been good plain for a massive battle, anyway. Sources speak about hundreds of thousands of Persian soldiers... I am very exceptic about most numbers given, specially since logistics are the key in here, and bigger isn't necessarily better, as we know very well. But 400,000 for Achaemenes and 600,000 for Megabyzus seem a bit too high. Also, while Thukidides mentions 40 tieres, Ctesias (or was it Diodorus) mentions 200. What a big difference!

How many ships could Athens by the time allow herself to divert to help Inaros, anyway? They were having operations throughout the whole of Hellas, and there was Chiprus as well. I'd love to have some realistic/reliable numbers about the possibilities of the Delian League by the time. While 40 or 200 ships wouldn't have been a big difference in the numbers of hoplites/epibatai, the difference in rowers is staggering!

OK, so marshes, swamps, nasty creeplers and other, bigger animals, and lots of work for light infantry, good to know. Thanks! I'll have that in mind!

Quote:Enlist they say......
A few good men wanted to aid the noble Prince Inaros!
Transportation provided and the chance to meet beautiful Egyptian women!

LOL. That was funny :-) )

Quote:Well with the farm back home wrecked by the Persian invasion might not be a bad idea!
In Greece we say: success boasts of may fathers, failure is an unwanted orfan!

Kind regards

Indeed! Deep wisdom in that saying, specially appropriate for the time period we are discussing...

again, thanks a lot!

PS- OK, another try with my poor greek, no dictionaries, etc: Zeus sotir niki = May Zeus help towards victory (???)
Episkopos P. Lilius Frugius Simius Excalibor, :. V. S. C., Pontifex Maximus, Max Disc Eccl
David S. de Lis - my blog: <a class="postlink" href="http://praeter.blogspot.com/">http://praeter.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread
Re: Athens and Inaros\'s Rebellion - by P. Lilius Frugius Simius - 07-13-2005, 08:52 AM
Inaro\'s Rebellion - by Pacal - 07-16-2005, 10:28 PM