Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi-tech Archeology - Roman Ruins Uncovered
Here is a link to world wide imagery. There is an international standard restricting shared satellite imagery to 5m. resolution, unless that has changed.

http://geoengine.nima.mil/geospatial/SW ... _roam.html

Use the point and click navigation, or lat/long to go where you want.

When imagery is combined with a Geographical information System (GIS) it is the optimal tool for site specific analysis. For those of you who may not know, A GIS differs from a CAD in that it is a spatial database with a graphic interface. Like "Plot all find sites of Segmentata type fittings that are within 1000 m. of Auxillia fort locations > 100m. sq. and < 500m. sq." All you have to have is a regional data set. The purpose of GIS is analysis to spatial relationships and distributions at any level.

If there is no data set of Roman sites, it would be fun to build one... This would consist of location along with diagnostic and descriptive attributes. Once the database structure is built (critical, done right first time), and a data input protocol established, any interested party could download a browser GIS that is capable of analyzing and displaying data, without monkeying around with the original data set. Like ARC/Explorer.

I have licensed ARC/Info, and ArcView 9 (not cheap) on my home PC. I was trying to use GIS for crime analysis and emergency planning with local Police agencies, but there was no real interest in using GIS as a crime interdiction or emergency planning tool. Political turf wars prevailed. Now comes Katrina and Rita. Nuff said.

Gaius Decius Aquilius
(Ralph Izard)

Messages In This Thread
poor resolution - by Goffredo - 09-16-2005, 12:10 PM
Re: Hi-tech Archeology - Roman Ruins Uncovered - by Gaius Decius Aquilius - 09-24-2005, 04:12 PM
Constantinople walls - by Goffredo - 10-05-2005, 04:04 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Belgrade and Roman Ruins/Museums Longovicium 12 3,163 08-29-2023, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Longovicium
  London's largest Roman mosaic find for 50 years uncovered Robert Vermaat 0 202 02-24-2022, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Gallo-Roman Ruins of Champlieu, France Roman Military History is 4 Me 3 1,537 06-29-2014, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Scipio Second