Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recreating a legionair beginning 3rd Century
Quote:Yes, early September this year at Budapest.

To be honest you have me baffled to who it may have been. We do though, have have members from all over the country who don't do many events anymore, and who I have never actually met. Was it Bill?

On coifs, to my knowledge at present we only have one. It belongs to Paul Carrick, our commander and scale expert.

[Image: QUINTA3.jpg]

Sadly I don't have an image of him wearing it. We to have a Deepeeka Niedermoermter, though the brass one It is owed and worn in the picture below by Jamie McLean.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y102/S ... UNITA6.jpg

My spatha is actually one of the older Albion ones, bought before their prices went ballistic. It is a beautiful piece. The only real problem with it is the blade cross-section. It is diamond, where as by the 3rd it probably would have been lenticular. I can live with that though. Perhaps an old family heirloom from the 2nd C AD. Godfrey, who made my scabbard charged me £150 I believe. I think he may have retired though. He wanted to tour around the UK on a 1930s motorbike. Probably will be back for winter, and it could be worth enquiring. I will send you his address in a private message.

Gregory, Constaine & SSeverus

On those Deepeeka helmets - I personally would avoid 1 and 3, but I like number 2. And there are a few simple things that can be done to make 2 even better. But at the end of the day, we must each set our own standards and priorities. Perfection is impossible. I spent a lot of time getting my helmet right, but I have spent much less time on other less exciting parts of my kit. I will probably never get there, but if each year it gets a little better I am happy. Please don't let me put you off. It is the taking part that counts.

Andrew

Messages In This Thread
A question: Auxillary Es - by Caius Valens - 11-08-2005, 09:04 PM
Brass Aux E - by Caius Valens - 11-09-2005, 09:59 PM
Re: Recreating a legionair beginning 3rd Century - by Sassanid - 11-10-2005, 03:00 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  greaves for the beginning of 2nd AD Aurelianus 3 1,425 01-06-2008, 08:59 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar