Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Archaeologists find western world\'s oldest map
all points happily taken (though on the tree and moss issue I believe there are regional variants. As a little boyscout I always learnt that moss grew on the West side of a tree (this being the primary direction where wind comes from in Northern Germany - but doesn't apply to e.g. east coast of England...

but if the knowledge of spatial representation was known to the Romans, why didn't they use it? Was it then a case of format? I.e. sth like a Peutinger table can be carried in a scroll, whereas an actual space representation of the world would have filled the floorspace of a small forum at any useful scale? Probably more likely, considering that the Forma Urbis is also a (more or less accurate) real space representation of the city of Rome... (OK, so I have answered my question above - unless this method of representation was only an issue when dealing with larger scales... :oops: )

Jasper - as for periploi, are there any Roman ones? Or are they all Greek (in the widest possible sense...)

C.
Christoph Rummel

Messages In This Thread
huh? - by Gashford - 11-23-2005, 08:22 AM
Re: Archaeologists find western world\'s oldest map - by L. Aufidius Pantera - 11-23-2005, 01:01 PM