Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barbara Pferdehirt Books?
Quote:Are you thinking of purchasing them; I note that at least one is on the Oxbow Books website.
You might find that you can take a look at them in academic libraries - check out: http://www.copac.ac.uk/ to find out where copies are held. It's best to ring up beforehand and check if you can get in without a pass. Quite a few academic libraries are effectively open access, and there's only costs involved if you want lending rights. Perhaps you knew this already .
It looks like Römische Militärdiplome und Entlassungsurkunden in der Sammlung des ... was recieved for review by the Roman Society - they're in London of course, so may well be worth a visit ( http://www.romansociety.org/ )
Best wishes,

Ave Viventius,

Thank you very much for your detailed answer.

Yes, I am thinking of buying them.

I checked out www.Oxbowbooks.com and this is what I found.

Die Rolle des Militärs für den sozialen aufstieg in der Römischen Kaiserzeit
by Barbara Pferdehirt
This detailed study of military diplomas examines the ways in which a military position or background could be used as a means of climbing the social ladder during the Roman imperial period. With an emphasis on the 1st and 2nd centuries AD, Pferdehirt examines the legal role and privileges of soldiers and knights in the Roman constitution, the possibilities for freedmen, the rights of soldiers' families and the changes in law after the turn of the 3rd century. 269p, tbs, fold-outs (Römisch-Germanisches Zentralmuseum 2002)
ISBN 3884670697. Hardback. Price GB £48.50

I also checked the copac link, very useful, thank you for that.

I've been a member of the Roman Society since 2003. Perhaps I should contact them and see if I can loan the three books?

Regards.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
[Image: spedius-mcmxliii.gif]
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
North London Wargames Group

Messages In This Thread
Barbara Pferdehirt Books? - by Spedius - 02-07-2006, 02:07 PM
Re: Barbara Pferdehirt Books? - by Spedius - 02-07-2006, 03:21 PM
Re: Barbara Pferdehirt Books? - by Spedius - 02-07-2006, 03:52 PM
Re: Barbara Pferdehirt Books? - by Martin Moser - 02-07-2006, 04:02 PM
Re: Barbara Pferdehirt Books? - by Martin Moser - 02-07-2006, 04:04 PM