Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Han Chinese defeat Roman legionaires 36 BC?
H.H. Dubs has shown in A Roman City in Ancient China (1957), that there are indications that at least some of the Roman survivors of Carrhae offered mercenary service to one Jzh-jzh, the leader of a nomad tribe known from Chinese sources. When he was defeated, these soldiers, which had shown great military prowess and discipline (a.o. acting as testudo, which is described in a Chinese source), accompanied the Chinese general to the east. A census list of 1-2 CE mentions a town Li-jien ('Roman city') in the commandery Chang-i.

To Dubs' book I can add that (according to the National Geographic) at the moment, a Chinese town claims to be Li-jien, and has erected a statue to symbolize friendly relations between east and west. I suspect that the city tries to attract western tourists, but on the other hand: contacts between east and west did exist. Centuries later, Ammianus Marcellinus devoted, in his twenty-third book, a digression to the topography of Asia, which includes some information on the land of the Seres (Chinese) that is not completely wrong.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website

Messages In This Thread
Re: Han Chinese defeat Roman legionaires 36 BC? - by Jona Lendering - 03-01-2006, 11:58 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Victory and defeat Roman soldiers SAJID 7 714 09-17-2021, 02:46 PM
Last Post: SAJID
  Chinese in Roman Britain richsc 23 10,211 11-04-2016, 01:30 AM
Last Post: Alanus
  The armour and weapons of mid - late 3rd C legionaires julianus heraclius 6 2,304 09-18-2007, 12:14 PM
Last Post: julianus heraclius