Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Storage and Transport of equipment
I made a tote bag out of heavy cotton with wide woven braid passing underneath and forming the handles. First in goes the girdle section of the lorica, open side up, with left and right sections still laced together. The shoulder sections nest together and into one side of the girdle plates, with the helmet on top of them. Into the other half of the girdle section goes the caligae, tunics rolled up, subarmalis, and focale, and the belt gets stuffed in however it fits. Sling the sword, satchel, and scutum, carry the pack pole and pilum.

If I'm heading off to an even, I'll be wearing the tunics, but another helmet might go into the bag instead. I have a couple wool bags for extra protection for my brass helmets and for my Republican pectoral, and a couple bags for holding swords.

For school demos I have a wheeled cart with a milk crate strapped to it. A bag goes in that with my toga, spare tunics and shoes, etc. Satchel goes on top of that, and armor bag on top of that. That gets everything into the school in one load (since there is almost never enough time to show off extra toys).

With a minivan, it really doesn't matter how the stuff all goes in, as long as nothing's rolling around.

I tend recommend a tote bag rather than a plastic tub, since if you don't have a chance to stick the container back in your car, or any place to hide it out of the way, a bag is much less innocuous and visible. But I'll admit that a tub is darn handy in some ways! In either case, having individual bags for sword, helmet, dagger, etc., will protect them from dings and such. The bags can even be padded.

For storage at home, I like to keep my armor hung up and helmets on their special shelf. But if there are a lot of demos and events, the stuff might be in the bag for a couple months on end. In any case, ALWAYS wipe down your armor and helmet after wearing them, to prevent rust! And check them now and then while their are "in storage" (or even on display), and re-oil. Anything that gets stuffed back into the box or bag damp or humid and then neglected for a few days will be rusted and mildewed very quickly!

Valete,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/

Messages In This Thread
Storage and Transport of equipment - by Jvrjenivs - 03-13-2006, 06:51 PM
Re: Storage and Transport of equipment - by Matthew Amt - 03-13-2006, 08:59 PM
Carrying Kit - by Celer - 06-14-2007, 05:57 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Military Equipment Storage kevair464 25 5,477 01-27-2010, 05:29 PM
Last Post: kevair464