Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Storage and Transport of equipment
I, like Crispvs, use a plastic "Tupperware" tub, with handles on the sides and a plastic cover that "snaps" onto the lip of the tub.

[As much as I'd like to have a more "authentic" looking transportation aparatus/container, one great advantage to a tupperware tub is it's waterproof and easy to clean. It will also take some abuse and rough handling. However, as Matt Amt said, a bag would look more "period" and is more easily consealable....Depends on what you want]

First, I would say get a piece of Foam Rubber or some old towels/rags to line the bottom to give cushion, and prevent everything from jostling around inside the tub. If the piece is big enough to cover the inside walls, that could help too.

My tub is a little "small", so my armor (lorica seggie) will go in, assembled, but opened like a vest, and allowed to collapse on itself, placing the shoulder guards/breast plates over the girdle plates to spread out as much weight as possible. I'll then take my helmet (a brass Aquincum/Gallic I), and place it neckguard-down into the middle of the armor, and have the helmet then rest of the crestnob and supported by the inside of the girdle. (if you're concerned about dings, a towel or linen rag would be good to wrap it up in, even better, an old pillowcase!)

I'll then thrown my Paenula cloak ontop of the armor, covering most of it up. I'll then put my caligae in, hobnails towards the inside wall of the tub, on either end, and gently roll up my Balteus and place it on the other end. I'll usually put my Pugio on the bottom, so it doesn't jostle around as much.

My clothes (currently tunica, focale, subarmalis, wool stocking cap for helmet liner) get put in a brown paper bag and placed ontop of the paenula. Finally my Pompeii gladius is laid diagonally ontop. After an event, I will only transport the clothes in the bag, in the tub until I get the gear into the car, I try to remember to take out the bag of clothes and put in down on the floor, to prevent as much moisture as possible inside the box. I'd suggest getting a cedar wood block or those "sneaker balls" that can absorb moisture. That might help quite a bit, esspecially when you're unable to dry off/oil up the armor for a few hours of traveling; or unable to clean the armor when you get home.

I have a small metal Hand-Truck to lug around the box, I'd suggest getting a tub that has nice, big *sturdy* wheels already attatched to the tub, and make sure you measure the inside of the tub, if you have to accomodate a larger gladius, like a Mainz. I think I'll have to consider getting a bungee cord or tie to tie down the box to the hand-truck, to prevent it tipping over as I cart it around.

I also have a small bag of leather ties/thongs to replace any that break, to tie up things (for, say, the furca), and I would recommend a small pair of needle-nose pliers (to remove stubborn ties, or to bend metal pieces back into place) and either a small pair of nippers or scissors, to cut the leather ties to size.

Shield I have to carry by hand, sometimes I'll cover it with a plastic black trashbag, if only to keep the rain off and to not be nearly as a distraction to the public.

Pilum has the metal shaft wrapped with a big towel and tied tightly, with one small tie tightly around the "handle", behind the traingular junction block, to prevent the towel slipping off... I'd recommend finding a better way, such as plastic tubing, or some such.

I currently have a 4-door Sedan car, so the Pilum goes parallel to the car side along the doors from the front passenger seat to the rear passenger seat. I'll sometimes bend the pilum gently to have it sit better.
The box goes on the back passenger seat, the Hand truck goes in the trunk, laying down, upside down (so the wheels don't roll around!), and the scutum goes ontop of that. If I have to, I can put the tub in the trunk. I'll then have to collapse the hand-truck and artfully place it in there, and the scutum again ontop. The truck just closes like that Big Grin

If I'm doing a school program and bringing extra weapons/swords, I currently use a carry bag from a foldable chair...I highly recommend to either make a bag or find one that could do this. I ought to do so myself!

My furca/marching pole is still giving me a challenge. I still haven't found an acceptable way of tying up my Dolabra/pickaxe, nor finding a way to lay it down inside the backseat of my car without taking up too much space, so experiment and good luck with that!

Whichever way you do this, I highly suggest you find a way to pack up as many pieces of gear into as few boxes/bags as possible. The fewer trips to the car you have to make will make your life easier and loading/unloading faster.

On my Gladius and Pugio, I have a leather (or linen cord) strap attatched to the suspension loop/rings. The cord is long enough to come up along the hilt, wrap around the handle twice, and then come down and tie (tightly) to the oposite loop. This serves 2 functions: It prevents the blades from falling out during transport and/or moving around; and it prevents kids/people from coming up to you and grabbing either blade, and pulling it out....I've had that happen once two many times. (I tie up the weapons when I go into a very crowded area or know I'll be swarmed by over-enthusiastic kids, as you cannot watch everyone)

hope this helps.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)

Messages In This Thread
Storage and Transport of equipment - by Jvrjenivs - 03-13-2006, 06:51 PM
Re: Storage and Transport of equipment - by A_Volpe - 03-21-2006, 01:12 AM
Carrying Kit - by Celer - 06-14-2007, 05:57 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Military Equipment Storage kevair464 25 5,477 01-27-2010, 05:29 PM
Last Post: kevair464