Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Massive gathering in Germania in 2009
Hi Ulfwin,

Good news at least! If you allow my two cents:

Focusing:
I think this is the most critical point of the event. There are only a few Augustan-period reenactors (I can recall one or two groups from France) compared to other eras and I doubt that hundreds of mid-first to fifth century reenactors will start to re-arm themselves (spending several hundreds of euros or US dollars or £) for only one event! But I understand this is not your competence (but still you can try to push those politicians :wink: )

Another way to broaden the number of participants (if there will be only the Varusschlacht) is to make compromises about the equipment available for the reenactors for the battle (for example allow pompei gladiuses, corbridge seggies, later helmets and so on) but it will still leave out a considerable number of romans (from 2nd century onward).

The best thing would be really a multi-period event "honouring" European History and Culture based on common roman roots. That will leave plenty of rooms for civilians as well and my experience is that EU politicans (and what's more important EU Funds) LOVE this kind of stuff.

Budget:
What about asking the people who organized the Hastings event about their budget? Anybody from UK? I don't mean to publish it (it could be confidential) but the responsibles can make rough estimations from that. But of course the budget will hugely depend on the numbers of the participating reenactor groups what will lead us back to the question of focusing.

Quality:
I think here on RAT we could make Equipment Guides for roman groups just like it was done in Hastings this year (damn, these saxo-normans keep haunting me) but again for which periods? Only for Augustan or...?

I think the qualification of the groups shouldn't be done by reenactors. The "Why" is simple: I don't think anybody can tell who are THE Reenactors who have the authority for doing that and also it can lead to indulging in personalities (I hope this is the right expression for "offense someone").
So what about archeologists who don't do any reenacting? Like Mike Bishop for instance?

About performing battle:
What about a "scripting system" with "Officers" similar to...
NO, I won't write it down again but I think you know what I mean, a re-enactment of a battle which originally took place 940 years before...!
It seems quite safe (for the participants if they are disciplined enough - I see no problem with that on the roman's side :wink: ). it allows time for any narrative and the organizers can control the duration of the "battle" so the public will get amusement for a reasonable amount of time (if they pay euros for seeing us). And last but not least VERY strict safety rules both on weapons and proper behaviour with consequences.

About commemorating:
Man!
I see a huge funeral bonfire under the stars surrounded with armed legionaires, the flames are twinkling on the shiny armours, some gladiators are making ritual funeral fight while hundreds of swords are banging umbos in a slow rhytm...

Huh, it make my flesh creep!

Well, these were my ideas for today, sorry if it was too boring.
Valete,

József Janák
Miles Gregarius
Legio I Adiutrix
Pannoniciani Seniores
Brigetio, Pannonia

Messages In This Thread
But this isn\'t realistic - by Neuraleanus - 03-31-2006, 03:54 AM
Re: But this isn\'t realistic - by Tarbicus - 03-31-2006, 04:22 PM
Limitis (french association) - by CHADBURN CEDRIC - 09-02-2006, 11:29 PM
Kalkreise - by Caius Fabius - 10-27-2006, 07:20 PM
official contact - by Ulfwin - 11-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Re: official contact - by Publius Militiares - 11-15-2006, 05:29 AM
Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - by Iosephus - 11-15-2006, 09:00 PM
little steps - by Caius Fabius - 11-26-2006, 09:44 PM
short report - by Ulfwin - 03-29-2007, 02:14 AM
Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - by Anonymous - 05-04-2007, 10:04 AM
update - by Ulfwin - 05-06-2007, 01:24 PM
yes - by Ulfwin - 07-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Varus Disaster - Re-enectment June 2009 - by David H. Blain - 07-27-2008, 06:27 PM
Varus Disaster Events 2009 - by David H. Blain - 11-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - by David H. Blain - 11-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - by David H. Blain - 12-18-2008, 08:12 PM
Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - by S AUFIDIUS - 01-09-2009, 06:16 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roma Aeterna - Gathering of the Legions mauritiuscomellus 51 10,285 08-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Last Post: vipsania