Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food supplies during Persian War
Aryaman2

Quote: In Ancient times we have very rarely, if ever, anything but theoretical maximum strength, an exception could be the report by Thucydides on the battle of Delium, IIRC he says something like the whole body of Athenian citizens in arms moved to the field, and they ammounted to 7.000 hoplites

If I understand your point, you are arguing that the figure from Pericles’ speech earlier in the war (2.13.7), that the regular Hoplite force at Athens was 13000, is theoretical number while the 7000 figure is more accurate?

Had Delium occurred in the first year of the war, you would have a good point, but you have overlooked a fair amount of evidence that the statement of Pericles was with respect to actual fighting men.

The most significant point is that at the beginning of the war Athens did actually deploy 16,000 hoplites. When describing the Pericles led invasion of Megara at the start of the war, Thycudides (2.31.1-3) notes that Athens had 3000 soldiers at Potidaea and invaded Megara with 10,000 Athenians and 3000 metric Hoplites.

Why only 7000 or so at Delium? Well by that time Athens suffered over 1000 hoplite casualties, and the Plague which wiped out something like twenty to thirty percent of the population of Attica. The time between the Plague and Delium (about a decade) is not really sufficient to allow replacement by increased family size. Part of the army was deployed with Demosthenes (and if you believe Diodorus it was a significant portion), in addition some front line hoplites were very likely tied down at Nisaea and Pylos at least.

edit: oops please excuse poor quality contral due to posting while at work ... that should be Pericles claimed 13000 hoplites and delivered when he invaded Megara.
Paul Klos

\'One day when I fly with my hands -
up down the sky,
like a bird\'

Messages In This Thread
Re: Food supplies during Persian War - by Matthew - 04-23-2006, 09:43 PM
Re: Food supplies during Persian War - by Matthew - 04-24-2006, 08:59 PM
Re: Food supplies during Persian War - by conon394 - 04-26-2006, 04:17 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Food supplies during Persian War again Jona Lendering 0 945 05-03-2006, 11:43 PM
Last Post: Jona Lendering