Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE REAL ROMAN ARMY vrs. the renactments
Well, since I'm a moderator and I have to be mature and respectful, i'm not going to verbally cut your head off and shove it up some ridiculously small orifice.

First, let's get the basics sorted out. Hollywood is by no means...AN ACCURATE MIRROR OF THE HISTORICAL OR CONTEMPORARY WORLD.

Having said that, it would really behoove you to read some books on ancient warfare and the Roman army. This will begin to create for you a more accurate "window" with which to observe how said army operated.

Unfortunately your opinion has become swayed by all the hype, CGI and bull-phooey that always surrounds large blockbuster films. For example. In Kill Bill Volume 1, we see the Bride using her katana to cut through an entire person from head to pelvis, as well as cutting other sword blades in pieces as though the other sword was a small sapling. Common sense would raise questions about this. Some research would of course allow a reasonably intellectual person to dismiss such ideas and realize they are part of a MOVIE intended to ENTERTAIN US.

Now, since we've laid the foundation to a clearer, logical and realistic way of thinking, I'll address your post bit by bit.

"I love ancient history especially the Romans. and i read a lot of books and watch A LOT of movies on the subject.
Movies like:
Gladiator
OP Empire
Rome (hbo series)
there are some others i have (like a movie about Attila ) but lets just focus on these
"

As movies...since opinions are subjective and entirely individual, one can argue that they are good as well as horrible. However, what must be noted is that on the issue of HISTORICAL ACCURACY, these movies eat the big poo-poo. The armour is all junk (the swords seem to be ok though) because it's based off patterns found on Trajan's Column, and not actual historical finds. The plot doesn't fit what actually happened in history, and as mentioned, the tactics and the manner in which the army actually fought is GOD DAMNED WRONG AND HORRIBLE!!! To this day it still brings a tear to my eye.... Sad Where are the cohorts, the centuries? Why do they couch their pila under their arms as if they were medieval knights riding on horseback??? Flaming exploding pots of incendiary fire? What the hell? I thought this was the 3rd century, not "Apocalypse Now".

"it is A wonderful battle and it feels so epic, it really feels like that army conquered the world."

Movies are supposed to evoke and inspire emotion. That's what they do. So do books, paintings, music, etc. etc. Why? Because they're all classifiable as ART. And that's what is so special about it...it makes us feel.

"but then i saw a couple pictures of a few roman reenactments like on this site, and was a little put down. it just seems there equipment and armor feel a little cheesy and definitely not like on gladiator."

Well...ummm...yeah! If I just watched the movie "Fantastic 4"...and took that as being reality...IE that humans had superpowers, I'd be pretty disappointed in real life wouldn't I?

Here's something that might shatter your world a bit. MOVIES ARE NOT REAL. They reflect how we as people would like real life to be. That's it. It's all a big fantasy.

If you think that polished steel armour is cheesy, here's something to think about. For over 5 centuries those battle tested cheesy pieces of turd armour held command over the majority of Europe, and later on Britain and North Africa. That came about through bloody, terrible warfare, and there is nothing glorious about it my friend...it's not all swords in the air "whoo-hooing" after the fight is over. Ask a combat veteran why you're so lucky to live in the age/area you live in..he'll fill you in pretty quick.

"on gladiator every soldier looked really ''epic'' but these reenactments kind of looked stupid, and didn't really feel like they represented the soldiers that conquered the world. "

That's called make-up. The extras used in gladiator were wearing brown and black painted armour and lots of make-up. Not to say professional Roman soldiers didn't get dirty. But they cleaned themselves...AND their armour. That's part of being a professional. Take care of your kit and your kit will take care of you. Do you have any idea what rust DOES to metal? It weakens it! Eventually it won't do it's job of protecting you, so why let it corrode? Doesn't make a lot of sense, does it?

Unfortunately right now your perception of what is real has been so horribly influenced by what is make believe (ie Hollywood and it's crap movies) that it is going to take some serious learning to make it otherwise.

"or did they look more real and deadly , and the armor more rusted and once again real "

Again, you're trying to super-impose what you've seen in a movie onto what happened historically 1,800 years or so ago. I mean what else can I say? If you're taking movies as accurate representations of real life in any context you're going to continually sound like a fool every time you voice an opinion on something beyond fantasy.

And yes...those pictures are ACCURATE portrayals of Roman Legionarys (though from an earlier period). Their well maintained weapons, armour and clothing is 1000X more accurate than what is shown in Gladiator. Reenactors by their very nature try and be as realistic as possible.

Now, are they the soldiers who created the roman empire? No...they're all dead. If you want to see what a real solider looks like, I'm sure if you're living in Europe, N. America or anywhere else touched by war, it won't be too difficult to find some war veterans. You'll find they're a far cry from what is portrayed in most Hollywood epics.

So, the bottom line is...stop taking Hollywood at any kind of face value, and get your opinions and ideas about the real world, IN THE REAL WORLD.

Books are your friend. TV is bad.

Legion: TBD

Messages In This Thread
THE REAL ROMAN ARMY vrs. the renactments - by Woadwarrior - 05-09-2006, 01:47 PM
It may be an issue of numbers - by Neuraleanus - 05-09-2006, 02:25 PM
Re: THE REAL ROMAN ARMY vrs. the renactments - by Magnus - 05-09-2006, 03:12 PM
Hollywood & History... - by Narukami - 05-09-2006, 07:02 PM
Polishing kit - by Celer - 05-10-2006, 09:04 AM
ok - by Woadwarrior - 05-10-2006, 12:25 PM
sorry - by Woadwarrior - 05-10-2006, 12:30 PM
ok - by Woadwarrior - 05-10-2006, 01:34 PM
b ump - by Woadwarrior - 05-10-2006, 01:51 PM
Re: ok - by tlclark - 05-10-2006, 02:03 PM
Re: ok - by hoplite14gr - 05-10-2006, 02:23 PM
Re: Polishing kit - by drsrob - 05-10-2006, 04:48 PM
Re: ok - by Matthew Amt - 05-10-2006, 05:01 PM
Re: ok - by Felix - 05-10-2006, 05:02 PM
Re: THE REAL ROMAN ARMY vrs. the renactments - by Woadwarrior - 05-10-2006, 05:53 PM
Re: ok - by tlclark - 05-10-2006, 06:02 PM
ok - by Woadwarrior - 05-11-2006, 12:35 PM
Gallic \'F\' centurion\'s helmet II - by Celer - 05-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Re: ok - by tlclark - 05-11-2006, 02:03 PM
Re: ok - by tlclark - 05-11-2006, 02:07 PM
Re: ok - by tlclark - 05-11-2006, 02:16 PM
ok - by Woadwarrior - 05-11-2006, 02:41 PM
Applying for space for photos - by Celer - 05-11-2006, 07:45 PM
Re: THE REAL ROMAN ARMY vrs. the renactments - by Gaius Decius Aquilius - 05-12-2006, 01:43 AM
Re: THE REAL ROMAN ARMY vrs. the renactments - by Gaius Decius Aquilius - 05-12-2006, 04:00 AM
Re: THE REAL ROMAN ARMY vrs. the renactments - by Gaius Decius Aquilius - 05-12-2006, 07:53 AM
Re: THE REAL ROMAN ARMY vrs. the renactments - by Woadwarrior - 05-12-2006, 12:38 PM
Re: THE REAL ROMAN ARMY vrs. the renactments - by Woadwarrior - 05-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Re: THE REAL ROMAN ARMY vrs. the renactments - by Woadwarrior - 05-12-2006, 03:47 PM
Re: THE REAL ROMAN ARMY vrs. the renactments - by Gaius Decius Aquilius - 05-13-2006, 05:30 PM