Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rome vs Han essay- want get some opinions
Quote:
Quote:...
Quote:"Can a gladius cut through a goats neck? My kitchen knife can cut through a goats neck if enough force is applied to it, no problem."

You have a kitchen knife that will cut through bone? Come on....what are you using for a kitchen knife...hahaha!

Yes, because as I said, given enough force a kitchen knife can cut through bone. I never said that I can cut through bone using a kitchen knife, but if I'm strong enough, I can. It's simple.

Quote:Any truth to this? If so...chopping is a far different cry from a slashing type weapon. Chopping uses the sheer weight and downwards pressure to penetrate it's target. Slashing relies on the cutting edge and trajectory to inflict damage. Waaaay different.

Actually, there are many references to chop and slash. They could mean the same thing, and they can mean different things. Usually a chop gives the image of striking downwards more than that of a slash, but according to dictionary.com, there's not much difference between the two words beside that.

These are related concerns. Butchers can cut through bones - by chopping with meat cleavers, rather than slashing with lighter, sharper kitchen knives. Slashing or cutting usually involves some draw-cutting or back and forth sawing motion, while chopping does not necessitate this motion. Hence a karate "chop" is a direct blow without sawing or pulling action. A dictionary may not recognize this, but a cook does recognize it.
Felix Wang

Messages In This Thread
"The Seres" - by Eleatic Guest - 05-22-2006, 11:18 AM
Re: Rome vs Han essay- want get some opinions - by Felix - 05-27-2006, 06:08 PM
Real Name Rule - by Caius Fabius - 05-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Democracy - by Caius Fabius - 05-30-2006, 10:47 PM