Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fight to the death?
Thanks for the replies. It seems that there is some healthy skepticism regarding the nature of death in the arena.

The reason the lack of literary evidence makes me wonder about this, is that often on TV documentaries much is made regarding the huge difference between modern moral sensibilities and ancient ones, and the idea that people lusted for blood in the arena is always used as a prime example of this difference. However, from my readings, I get a strong sense that Roman morals were much more like our own than is often claimed. They valued strength and justice, and despised cruelty for it's own sake. Even though they handed down swift and severe punishments, it was for the good of all, and not a matter of entertainment.

When two men go at it with metal swords and shields, someone is going to die. If you replace those swords with wooden ones, survival is more likely but serious injuries and even death is still possible. I bet they used blunted weapons. I think I have heard that when a gladiator won his freedom, he received a wooden sword. Was that a symbol that he would not have to use sharp ones anymore or perhaps the wooden sword was just a momento of his fighting days?
Rich Marinaccio

Messages In This Thread
Fight to the death? - by floofthegoof - 05-22-2006, 06:18 PM
Re: Fight to the death? - by Martin Moser - 05-23-2006, 08:17 AM
Re: Fight to the death? - by Medusa Gladiatrix - 05-23-2006, 08:39 AM
Re: Fight to the death? - by floofthegoof - 05-23-2006, 02:46 PM
Re: Fight to the death? - by tlclark - 05-23-2006, 05:27 PM
Re: Fight to the death? - by Medusa Gladiatrix - 05-23-2006, 08:40 PM
Re: Fight to the death? - by tlclark - 05-24-2006, 01:14 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  did the gladiators fight to the death Jeroen Pelgrom 28 14,813 02-07-2012, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Marco Almansa