Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladiator helmet strapping
For safety purposes, I would recommend a chinstrap rather than leather thong, for several reasons:

First, we don't know for certain what the real helmets had, so accuracy's ambiguous. Not that the Romans didn't know how to make a buckle and a strap, they're all over a segmentata... Regardless, no one will see it unless they take your helmet and turn it upside down.

Secondly, leather thong is fine for a legionary helmet, since it ties just below the chin, rather than further back, which would provide much better support, a la WWII German helmet. Looks period, and not many head shots as a legionary [reenact]. Quite a few as a gladiator, most unintentional.

When I attended the Collegium Gladiatorium in Hungary last summer, I noticed they all used chinstraps... also that they fight full contact on occasion (with rudii in that case), and that blows to the head are inevitable. Personally, I use pressed wool felt (available from McMaster Carr) to line mine, and do so until the fit is extremely snug. So that's another option.
Good luck,

Jim / Valerius

Messages In This Thread
Gladiator helmet strapping - by Dave G - 07-26-2006, 12:43 PM
Re: Gladiator helmet strapping - by M. Demetrius - 07-26-2006, 02:18 PM
Re: Gladiator helmet strapping - by Dave G - 07-26-2006, 07:06 PM
Re: Gladiator helmet strapping - by TR M VALERIVS - 07-28-2006, 08:22 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is There A Gladiator Helmet database? richard robinson 27 10,977 12-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Last Post: john m roberts
  Gladiator helmet 3rd or 4th AD ???? Conal 12 4,588 04-30-2006, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Uwe Bahr