Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alexander \'extended edition\' is coming...
Quote:Greetings,

Without going into a discussion on Alexander's personal preferences, which after all, was part of what made him who he was; he did have a 'love' relationship with Hephaestion, regardless of just how physically close they actually were....and men of that period (and later) did share beds and hug and kiss as close friends...

(no, I am neither 'gay' nor 'bi'....
:wink: )
regards
Arthes

And not just the Ancient Greeks either...

Arthes, you hit upon the core of the truth here -- the love of warriors for each other.

If I might quote, at length, from the Hagakure by Tanaka Minoru:

Shikibu had a view: "Regarding homosexuality, young samurai might experience an error that will cause life-long shame. You are in danger if you lack proper understanding. Few people are in a position to talk and advise about this subject. So I shall speak of the drift samurai have to bear the following in mind: a good 'wife' never meets a second 'husband.' The object of your love is one for life. Otherwise, you are the same as a prostitute. Too shameful for a samurai.

"It is truly said by Saikako Ihara that 'A samurai without a companion is like a girl without a fiance,' People will ridicule such a samurai.

"After five years or so of intimacy, you will discover the ultimate conscience of your supposed companion; and then you can ask him to elevate the relationship.

"Remember, you must be willing to throw away your lives for each other. If another courts you, shake him off with 'You stand in my way.' If he insists and asks 'Who is the impediment?' answer him with 'I will never tell you as long as I live.' And for any further importunity, cut him down.

"But at all events, never have two strings to your bow. At the same time, be assiduous in the practice of the military arts while thus engaged. Thus your conduct will be consistent with Bushido."

Perhaps this was the nature of Alexander's relationship with Hephaestion.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA

Messages In This Thread
hmmm - by Caius Fabius - 08-06-2006, 08:27 AM
Re: Alexander \'extended edition\' is coming... - by Narukami - 08-07-2006, 02:40 AM
Updated Alexander website - by Arthes - 02-06-2007, 02:09 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  History Channel.....Alexander and Romans coming soon Arthes 1 1,076 02-14-2006, 07:50 PM
Last Post: Optio equitum