Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scythian mummy found in Mongolia - dates back 2,500 years
Quote:Yes we discussed the "ice princess" in the buttered Skythians thread in the Greek section. Guess that is what Robert is refering to.
Pesonally I would like to see more evidence of the tatoos.
In the Kurgan "ice mummies" the noblewoman was without tatoos but the two slaves(?) buried with her were tatooed.

I will a bit (not much) dissagree with Andreas about an ancient laughing at us. Identification of "us vs others" was importand in ancient cultures and they didn much bother about our "modern sencitivities" who are very concerned in "avoiding offence".

Kind regards

Stefanos,

I agree with the "us vs others" comment, it's just that the Scythians (and Huns, and Romans etc.) followed completely different guidelines from us when it comes to defining "us" and "others".

It seems to me that most peoples, now and then, (very) broadly make a distinction between "us", "people like us" and "people unlike us". I wonder if the Scythians would have included fellow nomads of "Altaic" stock but with a similar culture and way of life in the last category, and (most of us) in the second, just because we're, like them, biologically mostly western Eurasian.

Hmmm...better watch this thread, before it turns really political. :oops:

Anyone interested in the contents of the Scythian ice mummy's stomach?
Personally, I wonder how much vegetable matter compared to meat and dairy products that guy ate.
Andreas Baede

Messages In This Thread
Re: Scythian mummy found in Mongolia - dates back 2,500 years - by Chariovalda - 08-25-2006, 12:16 PM
re: The pugio in your picture - by Johnny Shumate - 08-26-2006, 12:08 AM
Re: re: The pugio in your picture - by Arthes - 08-26-2006, 08:42 AM
re - by Johnny Shumate - 08-26-2006, 11:05 PM
re: - by Johnny Shumate - 08-27-2006, 12:18 PM
Re: re: - by Robert Vermaat - 08-27-2006, 12:21 PM
re: - by Johnny Shumate - 08-27-2006, 01:29 PM