Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The transformation of Roman Britain
Quote:I've often heard this but most historians seem to only agree that Cerdic is a british name whilst some others add Cadwalla too. However, during the time of Aethelfrith there was a norwegian pirate by the name Kerdic and there was a marcomanic prince by the name of Catuualda, both elements being PIE in origin.
A very valid point. The times I have to explain that Vortigern is NOT a Goth because of the resembence to the name Frithigirn... Sure, there are many resembling names. However, we have several in a row here, and not on the continent but in Britain: Cerdic (Caratacus, Caradoc, Ceredig), his successor Cynric (Cunorix) and his sucessor Ceawlin (Coline).
Sure, some alternative versions may be Irish, but the possibility remains that we are dealing here with Britons, not Anglo-Saxons.

Quote:Even tribal name such as Caeracates, Caerosi and Caemani may look celtic but these were supposedly germanic groups mentioned by Caesar. In many cases it is impossible to sort out he exact etymology because we have PIE elements in germanic names which have been written down by gallo roman or british clerics. Even in the cases where they have been written down by germanics, they tend to be germanics who were taught by britions, and all at a time when precise spelling wasn't that important.
Ah, when Caesar's involved I hedge my bets for the Celts, because it's almost sure that Caesar called all tribes east of the Rhine Germans as a matter of political fact. The Caeracates, Caerosi and Caemani may in fact have been Celtic tribes, although I'm the first to acknowledge the very difficult situation of the Rhine region in Caesar's day - what was a Celtic tribe? Did all tribes or persons with Celtic names speak Celtic- or maybe already Germanic.
And yes, etymology is a very difficult matter, even though etymologists will often tell you otherwise. There's a linguist who's of the opinion that 'Badon' (famous battle) must be an English word - simply because he says they don't know any similar Celtic word... Confusedhock: [/quote]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
The transformation of Roman Britain - by Redwald - 09-02-2006, 04:02 PM
.. - by manda - 09-03-2006, 07:12 AM
Re: The transformation of Roman Britain - by Robert Vermaat - 09-04-2006, 05:42 PM
Names in Britannia - by Ron Andrea - 09-07-2006, 04:15 PM
Re: Names in Britannia - by Robert Vermaat - 09-08-2006, 08:35 AM