Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The transformation of Roman Britain
Gentlemen,

Another difficulty stems from the limited number of contemporary sources: Gildas' Ruination of Britain and the Cambrian Chronicles being about all to survive from Sixth Century Britannia. Therefore, an added difficulty might be transliteration of names phoenetically from one language to another. Gildas wrote in Latin and the Chronicles in Brythonic (I believe; I haven't learned how to research while in the "reply" mode).

Also, many ancients were notably causal about spelling in general. Not until recent centuries have spellings for many words been standardized--and the Americans and British still disagree on many English words.

The Anglo-Saxon conquest of Britannia stalled late in the Fifth Century or early in the Sixth. Perhaps there was a time of Brythonic ascendency--erased by later Anglo-Saxon expansion--which allowed Brythonic names and words to "bleed" into the Germanic population for several generations.

(Though I have read several dialogue streams in the past, this is my first post.)
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea

Messages In This Thread
The transformation of Roman Britain - by Redwald - 09-02-2006, 04:02 PM
.. - by manda - 09-03-2006, 07:12 AM
Names in Britannia - by Ron Andrea - 09-07-2006, 04:15 PM
Re: Names in Britannia - by Robert Vermaat - 09-08-2006, 08:35 AM